A major goal for the students in the Year 5 and 6 Syndicate is to work towards becoming an‘Independent Learner.’ This encourages them to take charge of being ready to learn and also helps them to monitor their own learning. This learning will help to ensure that they will be prepared for future years of learning.
Criteria for being an Independent Learner - an Independent Learner would do these things:
1. Ask these questions frequently, ‘Do I know what I am supposed to be doing?’ ‘Am I doing it?’ An independent learner would answer ‘Yes’ to both questions.
2. Plan time on a task carefully so that it can be finished on time.
3. Look after all personal learning resources. If I misplace something, it is my own learning that suffers.
4. Is ready to start at the beginning of the day, with a clear and organised desk as well as a clear and organised frame of mind.
5. Knows the best way to learn is to ask questions of others when unsure.
6. Works quickly and quietly on set tasks to maximise learning but is also conscious of the learning needs of others.
7. Set realistic goals and work hard to achieve them as it is clear that education plays a very important part in my future.
This has been a start to a term like that never seen before. It has been amazing to see the support the parents of Te Rapa School students have given under these times of uncertainty. Despite not being physically at school our students were (under the guidance of others at home) able to continue on their learning journey, and what a journey it has been. What follows is a handful of the many images sent to me during the 'Lockdown'. The quality of the work presented has been very high and shows the skill and talent of our student population.
As we begin the next chapter of Term 2 we will continue to focus on being the best we can be. This will be reflected in the quality of our classwork, our ability to accept challenges, our willingness to take risks with our learning, and the extension of how we show Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T in all we do (especially in our relationships with others).
With the uncertainty of sports at the moment we will focus on general fitness and Cross Country development.
As things begin to return to a new 'normal' you will see everything you typically see in our great school. Maths classes with students excited about numbers, reading lessons that will inspire students to want to know more, writing sessions that allow students to engage with their imagination. We will continue to build independent learners with an ability to shape their futures.
Enjoy the journey - we're all in this together!
Year 5/6 Teacher - Room 12