Te Rapa Primary

Te Rapa Primary School

Welcome to Room 5

Term 4, 2021

Inquiry Learning/Production: Our Whole School Production is on Wednesday 1st December and Thursday 2nd December. Therefore, the Inquiry focus this term will be the Arts.  Students will get the opportunity to explore drama, dance and visual arts at the classroom level while some older students will be lucky enough to participate in the school production.  All families are welcome to attend Clarence St Theatre in Week 7 to watch the show created by Fiona Greaves, our very own Learning Assistant. 

Health/P.E: Athletics will be covered this term and the students will do sprints, long jump, high jump and throwing activities. The Year 1/2 Athletics display will be on Friday 19 November. Your child needs to wear suitable clothing for Athletics. Swimming will be done when the weather warms up. Survival skills in the water will be the focus.

Literacy Oral Language Reading and WritingFairy tale big books and guided reader plays will be used in the reading and writing programmes.  Fairy tales will introduce the students to Narrative writing where the stories have a beginning, middle and end and include a problem and solution. Room 5 students will work in small groups to practise and perform a traditional Fairy tale play. They will present the play to an audience.   

MathsThe children will be doing the Prime 1A maths programme in Term 4. They will be covering number (subtraction and multiplication) and geometry and measurement strands. They will continue to build their Maths vocabulary knowledge to help them understand the mathematical concepts covered. The children will learn and play more Maths games to support their learning. 

WritingThe children will write recounts of their personal experiences and some of these will relate to Literacy and Inquiry. They will also look at the features of a Narrative fairy tale story. 

Maori: The children will cover Greetings, Nga Tohutohu (Instructions) and Nga Kai (Food). They will continue to focus on learning Te Reo Maori through song and dance. 

Art: Painting will be covered this term with students painting a Fairy tale character.