Te Rapa Primary

Te Rapa Primary School

Mr Josh Louden

Welcome back to Term 2.  I hope you have all had a wonderful time with family and friends over the break.  This term sees us busy with the following events outlined below. We hope that you are able to join us whenever possible.

Term 2 Activities

Written Language – Information Reports, Topic Sentence and Paragraph Development, Proof Reading and Editing Skills

Reading – Guided Silent Reading, Blooms Taxonomy Tasks, Colour Code Highlighting Non-Fiction

Maths – PR1ME Mathematics Programme

Inquiry: Diversity - The world is a diverse and amazingly complex place - Living World

Maori – Kapahaka, Maori Language, Counting, Colours and Animals in Te Reo

Arts – Friday Rotation involving Dance, Drama and Music, Visual Art

Health & PE – Sports Rotation – Netball, Basketball, Hockey, Softball and skipping

Competencies & Values – Learning Logs – Reflection on learning

Literacy Pro

Our students should be gaining confidence using the Scholastic Literacy Pro Programme. Literacy Pro is designed to develop successful readers by evaluating their reading abilities and motivating them to read more at appropriately challenging levels. This will be used in the classroom this term and we encourage our students to use this as part of their reading at home programme. Please take an interest in this with your child. Have them read some of the text aloud to you and share their quiz responses with you. If you have any questions about this programme please do not hesitate to contact me.

Homework

The students of Room 16 will have a fortnightly Home Learning Contract in Term 2. The items listed on the contract with a next to it are ‘Must Do’ activities and need to be completed and signed by a parent/caregiver.

The ‘Must Do’ activities each week are:

• Reading for a minimum of 15 minutes each Monday-Thursday

• Reading aloud to a parent/caregiver 2-3 times a week

• Including Literacy Pro as part of this reading at home

• Practising basic facts + - x ÷

When your child reads aloud to you they do not have to read a whole story and could be a variety of material from Literacy Pro, to a recipe or an article in which you are both interested. Once you have heard your child read, please talk to them about what they have read. Have them tell you the main points or maybe explain what a difficult word means.

Learning and practising basic facts + - x ÷ is very important for Year 5 & 6 students. Having fast recall of these makes learning Maths easier and gives students confidence when learning new concepts. Please get your child started with this and then encourage it to happen independently. Some students who have slower recall should practise 3-4 times a week and those who are accurate and faster maybe only 1-2 times a week. There are so many ways to practise basic facts but my advice is to keep the sessions short and vary it so learning them does not become boring.

• Using counters or dice

• Writing them out

• Flashcards

• Times table poster or placemat

• Websites such as Hit the Button

• Basic Facts Apps for your child’s device

Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T

As part of our ‘Positive Behaviour for Learning’ school wide programme we will be focusing upon "Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T” this term. Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T incorporates the school values we already have and will be part of everything we do at school. This term we will be developing our class understanding of each aspect of H.E.A.R.T. We will be co-constructing what each aspect looks like, feels like and sounds like within our school environment.

H = Honesty

E = Excellence

A = Aroha

R = Respect

T = Teamwork

Stationery

It is expected that students have the required stationery at school every day and if certain items run out, break or go missing; students must organise to have these replaced as soon as possible. Please check that your child has everything they need.

Winter Sports - Shorts for Sports

With our sports rotation this term – students will need appropriate clothing (shorts & t-shirt) and footwear to participate. If students are unwell and are unable to participate please ensure they bring a note from home or an email. As we are getting into the colder months, more clothing is being worn to school and potentially taken off and left lying around so please make sure you name all clothing so that if it is forgotten/lost, it can be returned.

Speeches

As part of our English Programme this term the students will be writing and presenting speeches. This will begin in Week 1 with class speeches being presented Week 5 and syndicate finals in Week 6. I encourage you to take an interest in their work and discuss ideas with them but the writing of the speech needs to be done at school to ensure the competition is fair. Practising their speech for an audience at home is a great way to help build the confidence needed to present in front of their peers.

Inquiry Trip to Extreme Zero Waste

For our Inquiry learning in Term 2 is we will be looking closer at Sustainability and part of this will be our visit to Xtreme Zero Waste in Raglan on the 17th of May.

We ask you to not share all of the answers with your child as part of the inquiry process is to ask questions and research the solutions. This is a very important skill we are working on and trust we have your support.

We will be travelling by bus leaving school at 9:10am and returning back to school by 3pm.

We need adult supervision for this trip to assist with groups of students. If we do not get enough adults the trip will not go ahead.

If you have any further questions about the trip to Raglan or anything else please do not hesitate to contact me.

Josh Louden

jlouden@terapa.school.nz