Te Rapa Primary

Te Rapa Primary School

Miss Trudie Curtis 

Welcome Back…

to our existing Te Rapa families and those joining us in the 2018 school year.  I hope that everyone has had a great holiday and have enjoyed the summer sun and managed to keep cool in the heat.

As a team we look forward to starting the year, this term is already turning out to be action packed with loads of opportunities for learning and reflecting…and of course some exciting activities such as Swimming Sports, Triathlon and of course… CAMP!!!  

A major goal for the students in Room 14 is to work towards becoming an

‘Independent Learner.’

This encourages them to take charge of being ready to learn and also helps them to monitor their own learning.  This strategy helps to ensure that they will be prepared for future years of learning.

Criteria for being an Independent Learner:

1. I ask myself these questions frequently ‘Do I know what I am supposed to be doing?’ ‘Am I doing it?’ The independent learner would answer ‘Yes’ to both questions on a regular basis.
  2. I plan my time carefully on a task so that I can ensure I get it finished.
  3. I look after all of my own learning resources, if I misplace one it is my own learning that suffers.
  4. I am ready to start at the beginning of the day with a clear and organised desk as well as a clear and organised frame of mine.
  5. I know the best way to learn is to ask questions of others when I do not understand. The person that sits and stresses about not knowing will never know.
  6. I work quickly and quietly on set tasks so that I can maximise my own learning but I am also conscious of others learning needs.
  7. I set realistic goals and work hard to achieve them as I can see that education plays a very important part in my future.

This year we will have ‘Home Learning Contracts’ which will be done fortnightly and will begin in Week 5. This will consist of ‘Must Do’ activities which will have a next to them. The other activities on the list will be optional.

Reading will be a major component of the home learning contract, as will basic facts and other activities to do with in class learning. There will also be some other activities that are optional.

Those children who complete the required tasks, with signatures and evidence (if required) at the end of each week will be rewarded.

Term 1 Activities

Written Language – Recount, Instructions, Developing Vocabulary to suit a task and proof-reading and editing skills

Reading – Guided Silent Reading, Blooms Taxonomy Tasks, Recounts, Literacy Pro

Maths – Maths knowledge (basic facts, place value, fractions), PRIME Mathematics Programme

Inquiry/Big Idea Belonging and Citizenship: What are my responsibilities/roles in my community?

Maori – Mihi and greetings

Arts – Portraits and visual art related to camp

Health & PE – Swimming and Triathlon, Fitness Circuits

Syndicate Rotation: Drama, Dance, Recorder, Technology and ICT: Programming

Competencies & Values – Learning Logs – Reflection on learning

Assessment – Running Records, Journal Reading Assessment, Writing Samples, PAT’s, Essential List Spelling & Basic Facts

Please make sure that your child has swimming gear at school every day or has a note explaining why it is they are not swimming.  If possible, I also ask that your child has a pair of goggles; these really help them to become much more confident in the water.  We ask that girls swim in one piece togs please. This year’s Syndicate Swimming Sports will be held on Thursday 15th March.

On Wednesday 7th March our students will take part in a syndicate triathlon. All students will take part in the individual event as we are encouraging a ‘Have a Go’ attitude. They will swim 4 lengths of the school pool and then cycle and run around the council fields. It would be advised that they practise riding their bike on grass as this can be quite a challenge if they are not used to it. A notice will come out shortly with more information.

We are in the final planning stages of our Week 3 (21-23rd February) Camp to Karakariki. Please ensure the $130 is paid in full to the school office by Monday 12th February.

Up and Coming Events for Term 1

Orientation Evening: Thursday 15th February

Karakariki Camp: Room 14 departs on Wednesday 21st February, 8am and return Friday 23rd February, 3pm

Year 5/6 Triathlon: Wednesday 7th March Interschool Triathlon: Tuesday 20th March

Year 5/6 Swimming Sports: Thursday 15th MarchInterschool Swimming Sports: Wednesday 21st March

Class Photos: Wednesday 28th March

Parent/Teacher/Student Conferences: Wednesday 11th April and Thursday 12th April

If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Trudie Curtis

Room 14 Classroom Teacher tcurtis@terapa.school.nz