Te Rapa Primary

Te Rapa Primary School

Miss Trudie Curtis 

Welcome back to Term 2 for 2018! I hope that you have all had a nice break and managed to enjoy some of the autumn sun over the two weeks. We have many events planned for this term so I hope to see you join us whenever you can for a fun filled Term 2.

This term we are lucky enough to have Miss Courtney Harper, a University of Waikato Trainee Teacher with us in Room 14. She starts on day one and is with us for eight weeks, ending on Friday 22nd June. Please introduce yourself if you are in and around Room 14 over the next 8 weeks.

Term 2 Activities

Written Language– Speech Writing, Information Reports, topic sentence and paragraph development, extension of vocabulary knowledge, proof reading and editing skills

Reading – Guided Silent Reading, Blooms Taxonomy Tasks, Colour Code Highlighting Non-Fiction

Maths – PR1ME Mathematics Programme and IKAN knowledge development

Inquiry:Sustainability: The Environment Around Us, Xtreme Zero Waste Visit

Maori – Kapahaka, Maori Language: Marae, Calendar and Feelings

Friday Rotation - Dance, Drama, Music, Coding and Technology (hands on construction)

Health & PE

Sports Rotation

– Netball, Basketball, Hockey, Softball and Skipping

Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T

As part of our ‘Positive Behaviour for Learning’ school wide programme we will be focusing upon "Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T” this term. Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T incorporates the school values we already have and will be part of everything we do at school. This term we will be developing our class understanding of each aspect of H.E.A.R.T. We will be co-constructing what each aspect looks like, feels like and sounds like within our school environment.

H = Honesty          E = Excellence        A = Aroha               R = Respect          

T = Teamwork

Literacy Pro

Our students should be gaining confidence using the Scholastic Literacy Pro Programme. Literacy Pro is designed to develop successful readers by evaluating their reading abilities and motivating them to read more at appropriately challenging levels. This programme will continue to be used in the classroom this term and we encourage our students to use this as part of their reading at home programme. Please take an interest in this with your child. Have them read some of the text aloud to you and share their quiz responses with you. If you have any questions about this programme please do not hesitate to contact me.

Homework: Learning Contracts

The students of Room 14 will have a fortnightly Home Learning Contract again in Term 2. This term they contracts will run for two weeks with reward time for homework that is completed every second Friday at school. The items listed on the contract with a J next to it are ‘Must Do’ activities and need to be completed and signed by a parent/caregiver.

The ‘Must Do’ activities each week are:

·         Reading for a minimum of 15 minutes each Monday-Thursday

·         Reading aloud or listening to a parent/caregiver 1-2 times a week

·         Practising basic facts + - x ÷

When your child reads aloud to you they do not have to read a whole story and could be a variety of material from Literacy Pro, to a recipe, newspaper article from the internet or the paper, an article from a magazine or something that you are both interested. Once you have heard your child read, please talk to them about what they have read. Have them tell you the main points or maybe explain what a difficult word means. Please explore different ready materials so that children are exposed to many different genres and language within these.

Learning and practising basic facts + - x ÷ is very important for Year 5 & 6 students. Having fast recall of these makes learning Mathematics easier and gives students confidence when learning new concepts. Please get your child started with this and then encourage it to happen independently. Some students who have slower recall should practise 3-4 times a week and those who are accurate and faster maybe only 1-2 times a week. Depending on your child’s ability, they may be practising addition/subtraction facts or multiplication/division facts.

Some ways to learning basic facts are:

·         Using counters or dice

·         Writing them out or saying them out loud

·         Flashcards

·         Websites such as Hit the Button

·         Basic Facts Apps for your child’s device

Other tasks on the contract will be suggestions of other learning your child could do at home. Some of these tasks will involve practising independence and also manual tasks to develop skills as a growing member of your family. Other tasks will vary and will be optional.

Speeches

As part of our English Programme this term the students will be writing and presenting speeches. This will begin in Week 2. I encourage you to take an interest in their work and discuss ideas with them but the writing of the speech needs to be done at school to ensure the competition is fair. Practising their speech for an audience at home is a great way to help build the confidence needed to present in front of their peers.

Speeches will be presented to the class in Week 6 and those that make it through to Syndicate Speech finals will present these on Week 7.

Inquiry Trip to Extreme Zero Waste

For our Inquiry learning in Term 2 is we will be looking closer at Sustainability and part of this will be our visit to Xtreme Zero Waste in Raglan on Thursday 17th of May.

We ask you to not share all of the answers with your child as part of the inquiry process is to ask questions and research the solutions. This is a very important skill we are working on and trust we have your support.

We will be travelling by bus leaving school at 9:10am and returning back to school by 3pm.

We need adult supervision for this trip to assist with groups of students. If we do not get enough adults the trip will not go ahead.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Trudie Curtis     tcurtis@terapa.school.nz