Te Rapa Primary

Te Rapa Primary School

Mrs Michelle Middleton

Welcome back to Term 1 for 2018. Term 1 is an important term of building relationships and the beginning of our learning adventure together, full of wonderful experiences and discoveries.

We will focus on writing about our personal experiences and describing people, animals and objects. We will use the descriptors to help develop details in our writing: Number, Colour, Size, Shape, Doing, Position and Texture.

We will be also focusing on the correct formation and size of our letters and numbers.

We will focus on the new words we read and understanding what we read. It is important to ask and answer questions about different texts. Every night students will bring a reader home in their book bags to read to a family member.

In Mathematics we will focus on addition and subtraction, developing understanding of real life contexts and knowledge activities to help recall of basic facts, place value and simple fractions.  We will play games as a whole class and as part of the maths rotation.

The Social Science Inquiry this term is entitled "Tools for Learning”. This unit will provide students with essential tools to enable them to become an independent lifelong learner of the future. We will focus on the importance of different groups that we belong to and make meaningful connections to the Key Competencies (Thinking, Relating to Others, Using Language Symbols and Texts, Participating and Contributing and Managing Self). We will also focus on our

Te Rapa Values (Respect and Self Control). The Inquiry will be integrated across the curriculum including Literacy, Numeracy, Art, ICT, Health & Physical Education and Maori.

We will be swimming each day, weather permitting. Please make sure that togs are in students’ bags each day.  If a student is unable to swim, a note needs to be provided. Thank you.

Maori vowels, basic Greetings and Farewells. Students will share personal mihi.

We will focus on logging on and off the computers independently. We will use the programmes "Paint” and "Kidspiration” to complete work linking to our inquiry "Tools for Learning”.