Te Rapa Primary

Te Rapa Primary School

Mrs Michelle Foster

I hope everyone had a fantastic Term 1 break and managed to spend some time enjoying what was left of the lovely weather.  I am excited about what this school term has in store for us!

In Room 3 we have 28 fantastic students and I am looking forward to continuing to teach and learn along with my students again this term.

Our Inquiry topic this term is "Animal Antics”. We will be learning about different animal groups, recognising that living things are suited to their particular habitat and have certain requirements so they can stay alive. Feel free to give students items about the animal world to share for oral language experiences e.g. newspaper articles or interesting pictures. Keep an eye on our Inquiry wall and our wonderings and discoveries as the term progresses. We will be visiting the Hamilton Zoo on Wednesday 16th May which will be a great link with our Inquiry. Information about this trip will be sent home very shortly.

MATHS - We will continue to use the Prime maths books for our mathematics programme beginning this term with numbers to 10.

READING/WRITING - The children in Room 3 will be grouped according to their abilities for our Reading/Writing and Mathematics programmes.  

Maori - We will be learning basic Maori greetings as well as writing a mihi about our family and learning some names for animals.

P.E - Our P.E. day is Wednesday. Could you please make sure your child wears suitable shoes and clothing for being on the field, courts and training for winter ball skills. The children will be participating in a variety of sports; Netball, Soccer, Miniball and Hockey which include throwing, catching, kicking and striking. They will also have folk dancing included within the rotation. As a teacher I enjoy making my lessons interactive to allow the children to connect with their learning.  

This term we are introducing  Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T: As part of our ‘Positive Behaviour for Learning’ school wide programme we will be focusing upon "Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T” this term. Te Rapa H.E.A.R.T incorporates the school values we already have and will be part of everything we do at school. This term we will be developing our class understanding of each aspect of H.E.A.R.T. We will be

co-constructing what each aspect looks like, feels like and sounds like within our school environment.

H = Honesty

E = Excellence

A = Aroha

R = Respect

T = Teamwork

I am looking forward to watching my students grow and learn in a classroom that is motivating, creative and most importantly fosters learning!!

Feel free to pop in and see us!!