Te Rapa Primary

Te Rapa Primary School

Mrs Christine Shadbolt

Room 5 Term 2 2018

Inquiry: Our Inquiry topic this term is "Animal Antics”. We will be learning about different animal groups, recognising that living things are suited to their particular habitat and have certain requirements so they can stay alive. As an exciting introductory EOTC activity, the Junior Syndicate classes will be visiting the Hamilton Zoo. Literacy (Reading and Writing) will be integrated into our Inquiry with the students reading animal themed fiction and non-fiction books and writing animal reports.

Maths: The Addition and Subtraction and Geometry strands will be covered in Mathematics. The quick recall of basic addition and subtraction facts to 5, 10 and 20, doubles, halves and teen numbers will be a knowledge focus. They will focus on accurately interpreting and solving word addition and subtraction problems using their basic fact and place value knowledge. The students will be looking at 2D and 3D geometrical shapes in the environment.

ICT: The Word Programme will be used by students to write a personal Mihi and to record information about animals. We will also be using the Reading Eggs programme.

P.E.: Large & Small Ball Skills and Games will be taken this term with students covering soccer, netball, miniball, hockey and gymnastics/folk dancing.

Art: The students will doing an collage picture of an animal in a Maori legend.

Te Reo Maori (Maori Language): Greetings/Farewells, Feelings, Animals and an animal themed Maori Legend will be covered.